At a ceremony in Killiney Castle on Tuesday 22nd May, The Cathaoirleach of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, John Bailey granted the Chairman of Blackrock Business Network, Aidan Fitzgerald a special award for his services to the business community in Blackrock.
Aidan Fitzgerald is the Chairman of Blackrock Business Network, a group of wide ranging local businesses that are committed to supporting and promoting the town for the benefit of all. The Network’s committee has been working closely with local government, the County Enterprise Board, IADT College and other agencies to improve facilities and services.
The Cathaoirleach’s award was also given in recognition of Aidan’s contributions to the wider community with his tireless work and fundraising, particularly for Temple Street Children’s Hospital, the homeless in Dublin and the local Blackrock Hospice.
An Cathaoirleach, John Bailey said,
Aidan is an outstanding person in the business world and he has contributed so much to the business community in Blackrock as well as his work for charity.
Commenting on receipt of his award, Aidan Fitzgerald said,
I love Blackrock and have had the pleasure of running my business here for 30 years. I am honoured to Chair the Blackrock Business Network and we will continue to work hard to ensure that it remains as a vibrant town for people that come here, work here and live here. I believe in the spirit of a strong community and enjoy the fundraising work that I and my colleagues do to help strengthen it. I am humbled and delighted to win this award.
Aidan Fitzgerald opened his first salon at the age of nineteen. He runs the Aidan Fitzgerald Salon in Blackrock’s Main Street with his wife, Karen Whelan and a dedicated team. The salon was recently refurbished and the team are celebrating 30 years in Blackrock this year.
The goals for the salon for the future are to build the brand in specialised areas. The salon has recently become involved with Trevor Sorbie and ‘My New Hair’, providing more affordable styling and supply of high quality wigs to people suffering hair loss through alopecia or chemotherapy treatment.
Commenting on the salon’s 30 years in Blackrock, Aidan Fitzgerald said,
The basis of our success has been attention to detail, consistency and passion. Most importantly, we strive to ensure that we deliver excellent customer service. The last thing a client does before they leave is pay the bill and I believe their time in the salon has to have been an exceptional experience.
Further Background on Aidan Fitzgerald Salon
- Aidan and Karen are elected Ambassadors of L’Oreal products, services and seminars within the Industry for the last two decades
- Awarded The Good Salon Guide Award of excellence for contributions to Hairdressing in Ireland and UK
- 2010 - Irish Icon Hall of Leaders Award presented to Aidan Fitzgerald by The Irish Hairdressing Federation for his contribution to the Hairdressing Industry in 2010
- 2010 - Irish Hairdressing International presented The Helping Hand award to Aidan Fitzgerald for his contribution in aid of the homeless in 2010
- 2009 - Aidan and Karen represented Ireland in London with L’Oreal’s International Autumn/Winter Collection and create the Rubilane Red Collection
- 2007 - Aidan and Karen Represent Ireland in Paris with L’Oreal International Autumn/Winter Collection and create Sweet Gourmet Book 2007
- Working as Ambassadors for L’Oreal for the last 15 years promoting styling and colouring trends, the salon has developed a niche in high end services. They have also recently taken on the Matrix Biolage Botanicals range which is environmentally friendly and supports the many other changes in the salon.
- ‘My New Hair’ – The Aidan Fitzgerald salon offers a boutique wig service where wigs are supplied and fitted in a private room. They carry a very large selection of wigs at any given time and offer advice consultations and support on the choosing of new hair and all that it involves.
Aidan Fitzgerald Salon Team Successes
- The Good Salon Guide Award of Excellence for our contribution to Hairdressing in Ireland and UK
- Salon staff wins 1st and 2nd in the IHF Best Apprentice Award
- Artistic Director Stephen McCarron created the Diamond Award Winner at the IPPA Awards.
- Stephen McCarron, (Creative director) wins silver medal for Ireland at Mondial Coiffure Beaute 2003 in Paris.
- Team wins Wella Trend Vision Award in the Helix 2007 (Bronze Winner: Tatana Klevevetova)
- Sabrina Duggan participated in the Final of the Wella Trend Vision Competition 2009 and 2011.
- Full Team demonstrated their skills to audiences in Estonia, Reykjavik, Paris, and at Earl's Court in London.
- Aidan and Creative Team showcase their international collection with the Graduates of Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design in London, in the Guinness Hop Storehouse in 2007(L'Oreal's International Talent Spotting Event).
- Aidan and Creative Team collaborated with Fashion Designer David Koma creating avantgarde hairstyles to compliment his new collection at the L’Oreal Colour Trophy Eliminator at UCD Dublin.
- Sabrina Duggan’s hair creations are featured regularly. Sabrina collaborated with Photographer Pawel Nowak and Fashion Consultant Bairbre Power and Model Nikki Bonass and they were awarded the best vintage look by Italian Vogue Magazine in March 2012.
- At home and abroad, Aidan’s Creative Team has won major awards at The World’s Hairdressing Championships. In 2003, the team won the silver Medal and Best Trainee in Ireland (First and Second). Aidan is a Past President of the IHF 1988-89.