Joshua Galvin @ Central Academy launched their first Fast Track NVQ Level 2 Apprenticeship in November 2010. The program was designed to deliver the full hairdressing apprenticeship framework in just seven months to learners who have no real hairdressing skills or experience.
Joshua Galvin Academy Deputy Manager & Fast Track Tutor Claire Ensor said,
It was a challenge as most of the learners had not been employed since leaving school; they lacked confidence and communication skills.
Alongside the Fast Track Apprenticeship Programme, learners attended many enrichment and training courses including: Long Hair Styling Competition, Cultures of the World Competition – Joshua Galvin Academy, Chris & Sons – Cultures of the World Competition (Final with Patrick Cameron), Babyliss Training, Steiner Training and Barber, Chris Foster showcasing Barbering demonstrations.
Attendance was very good throughout the course. Learners experienced challenging and inspiring opportunities during the seven months from consulting with clients, participating in enrichment activities, competitions and attending interviews; all of which helped them to achieve their qualification.
Key Performance Indicators
The Fast Track NVQ Level 2 Hairdressing Apprenticeship started with 14 learners:
- 2 withdrew from the course
- 11 out of 12 learners achieved the full qualification
- 1 learner achieved unit accreditation only due to illness
- 86% retention rate
- 78.5% success rate
- 92% achievement rate
Learners gave very positive feedback at the end of their course, stating they would do it all over again.
Without my Mum being around it's been very hard, but you’ve helped me financially so I can get into college, Claire has been like a second Mum to me! I have finally got my qualification and I’ve also made my Mum very proud – thank you!
Nadine Taylor, Fast Track Achiever
When I started the Fast Track course in January 2011, I thought ‘how am I going to do this?', because I had started two months later then the rest of the class. I only had five months to complete the course and I did it! I feel so proud of myself.
Marie Bradley, Fast Track Achiever
When I first started I thought the course was very hard; it felt way too much for me – that was probably because I missed a lot of lessons but in the end I found the course easy and became better in doing stuff that I wasn’t even good at! I have gained more confidence, but there is only one thing I do regret… missing the first couple of months of college; I wish I came in every day now!
Jasmin Akthar, Fast Track Achiever
Joshua Galvin Academy has taught me so much; before I came here I had no experience and I am now a confident person. My tutors had so much faith in me, which made me want to do better, and I have them to thank for my success.
Tia ‘Teapot’ Davis, Fast Track Achiever
I had never stayed at anything long enough to gain a qualification but at Joshua Galvin Academy I felt welcomed and part of a team. Emotionally it's been filled with fun, memories, laughter, tears and moments that will be treasured forever. Claire has especially been a major part in my progression at Joshua Galvin Academy. Truly she has been a great teacher! Along with Jude, they have both been amazing support to me and my time at Joshua Galvin Academy. I’ve become a better person, I’ve come out of my shell, I'm more confident and overall it has added to my passion for hairdressing.
Paige Wood, Fast Track Achiever
Since completing the Fast Track NVQ Level 2 Hairdressing Apprenticeship, learners have either progressed into employment or applied onto the Joshua Galvin Barbering Apprenticeship. Here are just a handful of success stories:
- Nadine Taylor started with Joshua Galvin Academy whilst attending school. She achieved her Salon Service qualification and later progressed onto the Academy’s Foundation Learning course, achieving NVQ Level 1 Hairdressing. Despite dealing with numerous personal and social issues, Nadine achieved NVQ Level 2 Hairdressing.
- Jessica Whitnell completed her Fast Track NVQ Level 2 Hairdressing and is now working in a salon. Jessica was recently promoted to Head Junior and now runs her own client column!
- Elozi Nsuka Matomisa progressed from the Foundation Learning course onto the Fast Track NVQ Level 2 Hairdressing. Elozi attended John Frieda salon for a trial day; the salon manager was very impressed with her and has requested Elozi back for a second trial day!
- Hadley Dempster Black, Paige Wood and Tia Davis are all achievers and have progressed into full-time employment.