The Hair and Barber Council held its Student of the Year competition at Salon International, with winners announced live on the HJ Stage!
Seven finalists for Level 2 and six finalists for Level 3 recreated their looks live in the Competition Area in front of judges; Chancellor of Fellowship for British Hairdressing Ashleigh Hodges, Yesmin O’Brien from seanhanna and Junior Council member Niall McNulty. The competitors had 50 minutes to recreate the look they entered earlier this year - with the chance to win a day with Cos Sakkas from TONI&GUY, a day with Andrew Barton from Headmasters, and to appear in the next issue of the Hair and Barber magazine.
Hair and Barber Council CEO and Registrar, Keith Conniford, said:
We were delighted with the level of entries we received this year and were amazed by the quality of hairdressing by the students taking part. It’s important for us to support future stylists of the industry and ensure they are aware of the importance of State Registration for hairdressers and barbers to keep the industry professional and raise its perception.
Level 2 Winner: Leah Knapman, Cheshire College South and West
- Bethany Farrel, North Lindsey College
- Zac Gabrel, Central Hair London
- Elisa Sayer, City College Norwich
- Radost Staykova, Edinburgh College
- Rachel Thomson, Edinburgh College
- Samantha Wheeler, Metropolis Hairdressing, Kingston-upon-Thames
Level 3 Winner: Jessica Robinson, Central Hair London
- Calista Barnett, Muse Creative Hair, Broadway
- Megan Beardsley, Positive Approach Academy
- Tayla Faawcett, Positive Approach Academy
- India Fleming, West Suffolk College
- Lucy Ellen Thompson, Mack Hairdressing, Chelmsford