Hair-up specialist, Shelley Pengilly recently created an Alexander McQueen inspired look for the latest Z.one Concept, milk_shake collection Femme/Homme - offering a novel perspective on London, Paris, New York and Tokyo trends.
Following both London and Paris Fashion Weeks, Shelley fell in love with the spring/summer 15 collection from Alexander McQueen, whom Shelley deeply admired throughout his career.
The collection was all about strength, with an Eastern opulent theme that questioned how a woman can be both powerful and feminine. This theme continued right through to the hair and make-up, with models obscured by black kabuki-esque masks and hair slicked back into securely folded ponytails.
The caged bodices and strong structures that dominated the collection provided the influence for how Shelley styled her models. McQueen’s masked models led Shelley to create a helmet-like standing formation using wire to reflect the structure and strength of McQueen’s collection. The rough textured braid mimicked the ruffled textures of McQueen’s dramatic buoyant skirts. This texture was set above a perfectly smooth low ponytail.
1. First, Shelley applied milk_shake’s Styling Mousse to wet hair
2. When the hair was dried, Shelley sectioned it from the temple to below the ear into small triangular segments
3. With these sections Shelley braided the hair using wire that began an inch and a half from the root
4. Shelley then heavily applied milk_shake’s Glistening Serum to the centre section and firmly brushed the hair back to create a high gloss low ponytail
5. To finish, shelley secured the look with milk_shake’s Lifestyling Hairspray