How to Get Patsy’s Iconic Up-do
Preparation is the key for Patsy’s hair! A good blow-dry will give longevity to the style, then add volume by backcombing and finish off with lots of hairspray! - Jo Robertson, global head of education at ghd
- Towel-dry hair well to remove as much water as possible. Next, apply a generous amount of ghd total volume foam (£14.95) and blow-dry in with the ghd air® hairdryer (£99) and with a small ghd natural bristle radial brush (£20) - focus on the root area to create as much volume as possible!
- Now for the iconic Pasty back-brushing! To achieve this super volume look, use the ghd narrow dressing brush (£15). The small natural bristles get deep into the hair to create super height. Back brush the roots and smooth through the mid lengths and ends ensuring there are no bumps across the crown of the head.
- Fold the hair into a pleat at the back and secure with fine pins and LOTS of hairspray. Patsy is a fan of Elnette Hairspray!
- Leave a few fine wisps at the sides for the dishevelled Pasty finesse!
A peek into Patsy and Eddie’s make-up bags by Christine Cant, official hair and make-up artist for Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie
Joanna Lumley as Patsy
- ghd natural bristle radial brush - Patsy’s hair is the product of careful back combing. Her hair is carefully backcombed with the ghd natural bristle radial brush (£20) before styling into her iconic up-do and securing with lots of hairspray.
- Elnette Hairspray - a beauty essential for keeping Patsy’s chic up-do in place.
- Makeup Forever Foundation - this long lasting foundation provides perfect coverage to take Patsy from day to night.
- Mac Taupe Contour Smokey Eye Palette - Patsy wouldn’t be seen without a smoky eye and this palette is perfect for creating her sultry smoky eyes.
- Smashbox Sable Eyebrow Pencil – for enhancing Patsy’s brows without looking too OTT.
- Mac False Lashes - used to create Patsy’s dramatic eyelashes... that are perfect for fluttering.
- Touché Éclat - a beauty essential to conceal dark circles and highlight, giving Patsy instant radiance - an essential after a late night!
- Nanoblur Instant Skin Finisher - an instant skin refresh to immediately blur skin, giving Patsy an airbrushed finish.
- YSL Rouge Pur Couture ‘Le Rouge’ – Patsy would never be seen without her signature red lip, created using this long-lasting rouge shade by YSL.
Jennifer Saunders as Edina
- ghd curve Classic Curl Tong - Edina’s bouncy curls that last from day to night are created by wrapping sections of hair around the ghd curve Classic Curl Tong (£100*) and set with ghd Curl Hold Spray (£12.95) to keep the curls in place.
- Chanel Pro Lumiere Foundation - a base foundation to provide long lasting coverage and give Edina’s skin a healthy and radiant glow.
- Armani Maestro Fusion Foundation – 2 shades to contour and enhance Edina’s cheekbones and bronzed glow.
- Bobbi Brown Contour Illuminating Bronzer Power ‘Maui’ - Edina always has this bronzer to hand to enhance her tan and top up her glow.
- Mac ‘A glimmer of Gold‘ Eye Shadow Quad - Edina’s go-to eye look: gold eye shadow on the inner eye to brighten and enhance eyes.
- Bobbi Brown ‘Griege’ Eye Palette - to give a light smoky effect on the outer edges of Edina’s eyes, finished off with gold on the inner eye.
- Eyelure Pro Lash Individual Lashes - A more natural approach to lashes than Patsy, Edina uses Individual Lashes for a subtly enhanced lash look.
- Lancôme Hypnose Mascara - lashings of this mascara on top of individual lashes open up Edina’s eyes.
- Mac ‘Twig’ Lipstick - This soft muted brown/pink lipstick is Edina’s go-to for fabulous 90’s nude lips.
How bloody fabulous sweetie; ghd is the go-to styling brand used to create Edina and Patsy’s legendary hair styles in Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie.