Adaptogens have been used for thousands of years in ancient Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic remedies to help mitigate the effects of stress on the body.
Up until recently, popular Adaptogens like Ginseng, Ashwaganda and Reishi, have mostly been used in herbal supplements and teas to help our body regulate stress levels. But could Adaptogen’s be the answer to calm, soothe, and strengthen our stressed-out skin?
MARA Founder, Allison McNamara says:
When applied topically in skincare, Adaptogens help improve the body’s natural response and resistance to stress. Rich in antioxidants, Adaptogens help ward off toxins and oxidative damage from environmental and lifestyle stressors like pollution, diet, and stress. Adaptogens also provide powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which help to calm and soothe stressed-out, irritated skin. These anti-inflammatory properties also make Adaptogens the perfect partner to balance out strong skincare actives like Vitamin C, helping reduce puffiness, redness and irritation.
Our top recommendations for Adaptogen skincare…
MARA Volcanic Sea Clay Detox Masque (£48 / 50ml, cultbeauty.co.uk)
This lightweight masque works to gently exfoliate, clarify, soothe, smooth, replenish and plump your skin - leaving a youthful, glowing, clear complexion
- Four natural cleansing clays – Mediterranean Sea clay, two purifying kaolin clays, and bentonite, gently clarify, exfoliate, remove toxins, and unclog pore, without drying out your skin.
- Ashwagandha – this skin strengthening herb powered by antioxidants works to fight free radicals, boost hydration, and soothe stressed-out, blemish-prone skin.
- Volcanic Ash – sourced from the Jeju Island in South Korea and brimming with active enzymes, mineral and infrared to ward off blemishes, absorb excess oil, boost elasticity, and exfoliate dull, dry skin.
- A proprietary Algae blend and Spirulina drench the skin with phytonutrients, fatty acids, and vitamins to plump, firm and smooth.
- Ethically sourced honey deliciously hydrates while soothing and preventing blemishes and breakouts.
Polaar Icy Magic Instant Eye Contour Multi Energiser (£31/10ml, lookfantastic.com)
This invigorating and hydrating eye treatment firms, tones, erases dark circles, bags, and all traces of fatigue with just one application.
- Siberian Ginseng – an adaptogen concentrated in micronutrients, antioxidants, and flavonoids, known for its energising, stimulating and balancing properties. This arctic root stimulates the body to increase its resistance to stress and fatigue and helps restore radiance, vitality and tone to the skin and eye contour area.
- Tetrapeptides visibly reduce oxidative stress, help de-puff, increase elasticity, and erase dark circles.
MARA Sea Vitamin C Serum (£88 / 30ml, cultbeauty.co.uk)
Awaken the glow with this glow-inducing, supercharged vitamin C serum for a hydrated, bright, bouncy, look-at-me complexion.
- 15% THD ascorbate - this antioxidant superhero is the most stable form of Vitamin C and penetrates 50 x better than L-Ascorbic Acid. Infused in a cocktail of 14 natural vitamin C extracts (including kakadu plum, guava and thyme), this powerful vitamin C blend boosts radiance and brightness, stimulates collagen and reduces fine lines and pigmentation, while warding off free radical damage.
- Reishi, Chlorella and Ginseng – these calming adaptogens work to reduce puffiness, inflammation, and redness, while providing antioxidant protection and adding a youthful plumpness.
- Marine Botanicals - Blue Sea Kale, Sea Starwort and Sea Lavender drench skin with antioxidants and boost ceramides to plump, firm, strengthen, soothe, and smooth.
- Proprietary Algae Blend provides mega moisture, stimulates natural hyaluronic acid synthesis, and loaded with Phyto-nutrients, omegas 3, 6 and 9 to plump, firm and leave skin smooth and nourished.