Fashion in Motion is a series of Live Fashion Shows at the V&A featuring leading fashion designers from around the world, which recently featured Minju Kim with a showcase of her joyful and bold style.
The first inaugural winner of Netflix “Next In Fashion” program, Korea based designer Minju Kim launched her brand in 2015 after winning the H&M Design Award. Having studied at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, she was also a semi-finalist in LVMH Prize for young fashion designers.
Her signature style blends youthful playfulness and avant-garde Haute Couture with bold shapes and feminine characteristics. The hair look was a mix of knots and twists intertwined to give a girly feel, while edgy and not too perfect, bespoke for each model.
Get the Look: Braids from Minju Kim V&A Show by Andrea Daley for L’Oreal Professionnel…
This look has all the elements of beautiful, girly hair but with an edgy twist. Inspired by macrame and Korean knots you can be as creative as you like with a variety of braiding techniques on show. Adaptable for most hair lengths and textures, this is a perfect hair up for festivals and the “mix and match” braids allow for multiple styles from one look.
- Prep the hair using L’Oreal Professionnel TECNIART Pli to give a malleable texture without compromising on shine.
- Part the hair in the centre, from hairline to nape. Then subdivide the back into four sections (top right finishing just above the ear, top left just to the middle of the ear). Make sure the partings are obviously asymmetric to recreate the look.
- Split the right-hand side into two ponytails. The top should be high, whilst the lower one secured at the nape to exaggerate the difference in balance. The top pony is then twisted into a short rope braid with most of the length left out. The below ponytail is plaited but intertwining the length of the rope twist.
- On the left-hand side, scalp braid from the hairline to the middle of the ear and then plait off. The underneath section should braid into a skinny plait.
- In front of the ear and on the hairline, the baby hair can be loosely released, using the palm of the hand, for a softer edge.
- Smooth the tails of each braid and the loose hairlines using the L’Oréal Professionnel Steampod for a glass like finish.
L’Oréal Professionnel has worked closely with the Fashion in Motion events since their inception and invited Andrea Daley to lead the L’Oréal Professionnel hair-team, along with:
- Claire Mariscal, Johnson Blythe
- Chloe Digby, Johnson Blythe
- Danielle Leyland, Saks
- Edd Moss, Headmasters
- Edoardo Colasanti, Trevor Sorbie
- Jaclyn Parle, Andrea Daley
- Lynsey Wilson, Charlie Miller
- Mia Favagor, Boutique Aterlier
- Sara Bergantini, Fowler 35
- Shannon Curran, Saks
- Tony Hristo, Headmasters
The V&A’s Fashion in Motion series brings catwalk shows by some of the greatest designers of our time to the V&A and makes catwalk couture accessible to a wider audience, modelling it against the beautiful backdrop of the Museum. Previous designers in the series have included Christian Lacroix, Hardy Amies, Jean Paul Gaultier, Missoni, Stephane Rolland, Anne Valerie Hash, Swarovski, Gianfranco Ferre, Vivienne Westwood, Eley Kishimoto, Roksanda Illincic, Gareth, Erdem and Molly Goddard.
Photography: Jon Bradley
For more information visit www.lorealaccess.com