Hair slugging involves drenching the hair with layers of hydrating conditioning treatments.
Cocooning the hair strands with nourishing, moisture-rich products overnight will result in a significant improvement in the hair’s moisture retention, manageability, and overall health.
“Haircare slugging is a ritual that is particularly beneficial to curly girls prone to breakage, dehydrated hair, or frizz” says Bouclème founder Michelle Scott-Lynch. “After washing out products in the morning, locks will feel smoother, look shinier, and become easier to manage”, she continues.
Although hair slugging is beneficial for all hair types, lengths, and textures, you'll want to adjust product types, consistencies, and frequency of application accordingly. Medium to thicker textures can slug more often with thicker oils. For finer hair, incorporate this routine weekly, and be sparing with your product. Keep product away from roots to avoid greasy, flat hair.
Six steps to hair slugging for curly hair as recommended by Michelle Scott-Lynch…
- Start off co-washing with Bouclème Curl Cleanser and Curl Conditioner and rinse.
- Slather on Bouclème’s Intensive Moisture Treatment, leave on for 10 minutes to fully absorb into the hair cuticles.
- Like skincare, thicker consistencies should be applied last to lock-in and shield the previous layer. Using three pumps, warm up Bouclème’s Revive 5 Hair Oil in the palms of your hands, smoothing over mid-lengths to ends.
- Wrap your hair in a silk bonnet, shower cap, or loose bun overnight to help ingredients to penetrate the hair, reduce friction, and protect your slugging treatment.
- In the morning, rinse hair with cold water for extra shine. Gently ring out excess water.
- Follow with Bouclème Curl Cream and leave to air-dry or style as desired. You can choose to do this treatment weekly or as needed to maintain well-hydrated and healthy curls.