Wig wearing has become extremely popular lately, with individuals wearing them for many different reasons. Some sport them to change up their look, whereas others wear them while dealing with the trauma of hair loss. The reasons for wearing wigs are endless and individual.
A good quality wig doesn’t come cheap, and so it is important to make sure you look after those tresses, so your wig lasts you for many years to come. We caught up with the team at Christos Hair Group to get their top advice on how to care for your wig.
How to wash your fibre wig
- Using cold or lukewarm water, either using your shower head or filling up a sink, rinse your wig well.
- Get a small amount of your recommended wig shampoo (around a 10p piece size). Rub the shampoo between your hands to foam up and then gently stroke the shampoo through your wig. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT SCRUB!
- Rinse well and repeat step 2. You should also turn your wig inside out and gently rub the shampoo on the lace.
- Rinse again and apply a small amount of the recommended conditioner to the mid lengths and ends of the hair. Again, using stroking movements.
- Rinse well. Make sure you rinse the inside of your wig too so that no shampoo or conditioner is left on the lace.
- Gently squeeze out all the water. Pat dry with a towel and then give the wig a good shake!
- Once you have done step 6, put the wig on your stand and leave it to dry naturally. It may look a bit knotty but leave it to dry before brushing as you can stretch out the hairs when it is wet. It is important to leave your wig to dry at room temperature. DO NOT APPLY HEAT!
- Once the wig is dry you can give it a brush using the wig brush.
- Our conditioning spray can be applied to wet or dry hair and works as a leave in conditioner for the wigs. This is worth using often as it helps to protect against friction frizz.
- You can now put your wig on and style!
How to put your wig on
There’s no set way to put on your wig, it is all about how you adjust it once it is on! Here are some tips for putting on your wig:
- Lay your wig in front of you with the label furthest away.
- Put one hand at the front of your wig with your thumb on the inside and the other hand where the label is.
- Hold the front to your forehead and pull the label side over your head.
- Either side of your wig you will find two tabs, adjust these so they sit just behind your temples and are even on your head.
- Place your little finger in between your eyebrows and lay your fingers against your forehead. Where your fingers end is usually where your hairline begins so make sure your wig starts here too!
Our top tips
- Wash your wig every 8-10 days of consecutive wear.
- If using hairspray on your wig, make sure it is a light hold so it can brush out easily. Our light hold spray is a particularly lovely one to use on your wig and can be purchased as an addition to your aftercare kit.
- If you have a special occasion coming up, we can put your wig in an updo for you! Book in for a consultation and we can come up with the perfect style for you.
- We also offer a free wig wash service where you can drop your wig in for us to wash for you! (Please note you will have to leave it with us for up to 48 hours)
- Wig Shampoo
- Wig Conditioner
- Conditioning Spray
- Wig Brush
- Wig Stand
- Wig Liner