Skin specialist and owner of Salon Forty Seven Beauty Salon and Aesthetic Clinic in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, Karon Baker knows a lot about skin problems and the wearing of masks.
A common problem of late, maskne (a term used to describe skin breakouts from the wearing of masks), is giving rise to poor complexions, irritations, and dehydrated skin. See below for Karon’s top tips on how to deal with maskne…
Maskne with Salon Forty Seven
I’ve had a lot of people in lately commenting about how wearing masks are causing them to have more breakouts and dehydrated skin, so I thought I would share a few tips with you that I have been using that is keeping my skin looking and feeling good.
01. I think most importantly, make sure you are changing/washing your mask regularly. It is so easy just to pop a mask in your handbag and keep reusing it, but they hold on to so many germs and dirt that it is important to change disposable ones and wash reusable ones at 60 degrees as often as possible.
02. Limit the amount of makeup you are wearing. As soon as I came back to work and started wearing a mask and visor all day, I realised that there is no need for foundation, as it comes straight off!
03. Use a daily moisturiser with SPF and a primer, which evens skin tone and gives visible luminosity but also is very lightweight, so it allows the skin to breath and doesn't clog the pores.
04. Drink plenty of water! Wearing a mask makes me feel so thirsty and dehydrated, so I have been making sure that I drink at least 2 litres of water a day. It may sound a lot, but I just have a bottle on the side and sip as often as possible throughout the day. Hydrating the body from the inside will really make a difference to your skin. It is a really important habit to get in to and will make you feel so much better.
05. I am in LOVE with Image Skincare Ageless Resurfacing Masque. It is an exfoliant and masque in one and is so quick and easy to use. You start by applying it to the face and neck, leave on for 5-10 mins, and then massage gently and remove with water. Afterwards your skin will feel smooth and so hydrated.
06. Retinol is top of the list! To target both blemishes and signs of premature ageing, Retinol can be delivered safely to the skin in many ways. Image Skincare Overnight Retinol Masque is fab and easy, and I think this is one of the main reasons I have not been suffering with my skin from wearing a mask every day. This needs to be applied before bed, and I wake up feeling my skin is smoother and refreshed. It is a must have for anyone suffering with breakouts.
07. Hydration is key. As well as drinking plenty of water hydrate well from the outside. Image Skincare Vital C Hydrating Water Burst does what it says on the tin! Will help prevent dry flaky skin from mask irritation.
08. Cleanse your skin thoroughly at the end of each day to remove the grime and dirt from the day to refresh and keep pores clean. Use a cleanser suitable for your skin type. I love a facial wash to refresh. A personal favourite is Image Skincare MD Facial Wash.
I hope this has helped you and has given you some tips on managing your skin while staying COVID safe and wearing a mask!
Karon, Owner of Salon Forty Seven