A good blow-dry should last 2-3 days, so invest the time to get it right on day one! Simon Webster Hair Team’s Javi is here to help you achieve it using Bumble&bumble (Bb) products.
The first step is to prepare your hair before drying so your blow-dry will be glossy, bouncy and long-lasting...
- Shampoo and condition the hair thoroughly, paying particular attention to the scalp and roots when cleansing.
- Protect while drying with Bb Prep to leave hair nourished and balanced.
- Apply Bb All Style Blow-dry Creme to protect against heat damage and extend the life of the blow-dry – it has micro-fine oil absorbing powder.
- Spritz with Bb Thickening Hairspray for extra root lift and hold.
How you use and position the dryer throughout the blow-dry is crucial to getting volume and a smooth finish...
- First, use the dryer without the nozzle and on the highest heat and speed setting until the hair is 80% dry.
- Turning your head upside down will encourage body.
Choosing the right brush will determine whether you get the blow-dry style you’re after...
- Round brushes help create lift at the root and add a natural wave to the lengths and ends.
- Flat paddle brushes are good for straight, sleek styles.
Section the hair to ensure the hair is evenly dry and styling is consistent...
- Replace the nozzle on your hairdryer to style the hair as it dries.
- Select the appropriate brush and section the hair off into 1inch wide sections, working horizontally to the crown and vertically up to the parting.
- Ensure damp hair is sectioned well away from the dryer and work up methodically from the nape, smoothing and creating shape.
The final stage of the drying process is where the shaping of the style happens...
- As you style with the brush, follow the brush with the dryer in unison.
- Maintain the tension in the hair and then rotate the brush as you brush it down and through the hair.
- Repeat 4-5 times through each section, lifting up at the root before smoothing down the hair.
- Hold the hair taught around the brush barrel for a few seconds to set the contour.
- Give it a quick shot of cold air with the dryer, then gently release to finish and set each section.
- Repeat throughout all the sections to complete, making sure the hair is 100% dry, otherwise it won’t hold.
Don’t forget to finish your style so it lasts all day and requires minimum maintenance...
- Finish with the tiniest amount of Bb Hairdressers’ Invisible Oil for a lightweight polish and to control flyaways.
- Pump just a couple of small drops into your palm and work between your hands so you can distribute it through the hair evenly, leaving a superfine coating.
- Run your open hand through the hair with a slow, tousling action to separate and cool the hair – when the hair is hot it is malleable and when the hair is cooled that is when the shape is set.
- Finally, to keep the hair fresh for longer, I always recommend using Bb Dryspun Finish – a translucent dry spray that adds instant fullness and texture to gently waft the hair into an airy silhouette.
- Fix with a fine mist of hairspray if you want a little extra hold, but keep it light!