Celebrity and runway stylist, Matthew Curtis shares his predications on the hot looks we can expect to see at this year’s Oscars Ceremony.
Like us all, celebrities look for inspiration for their statement looks, turning to the latest trends from the runways, fashion magazines and even street style. We can expect to see a spread of effortless hairstyles at the Oscars this weekend; a trend that we’ve just seen grace the runways at New York Fashion Week, as well being popular at last season’s shows.
From lived-in, nonchalant hair tucked into turtle necks at Charlotte Ronson, loose ponytails that I created for the Kaal E Sukta show and slicked, wet looks as seen on the Hervé Léger and Vivienne Hu catwalks, simple yet interesting hair was everywhere at the AW15 season of New York Fashion Week.
Effortless hair was also a major look on the SS15 runways, featuring in shows such as Kaelen and our shows, KYE and Misha Nonoo. I think that hair at this year’s Oscars will be about celebrities pushing the boundaries and moving away from the clean, classic timeless looks that we’ve seen so much of on the red carpet.
Here is a selection of looks that will undoubtedly grace the red carpet at the Oscars this weekend, which you can re-create at home:
The Slicked French Twist
- Begin with towel dried hair and apply a heat protection spray from root to tip, blow-drying hair straight using a soft bristle brush and nozzle.
- Apply hair oil from the roots to mid-lengths, and using a comb, create a deep side part at the crown and then a straight part down the back of the hair.
- Beginning an inch away from the hairline, comb one side of the hair back and then fold into a French twist down the back of the head, finishing at the nape, and secure with hair pins underneath. Repeat on the other side of the head.
- Use hair pins to join the French twists.
- Pull the lengths of your hair into a low ponytail and secure with elastic.
- Finish the look with a spritz of strong hold hair spray and HERRA PROTECT Hair Perfume (£24.95) to ensure the style lasts and keeps your hair smelling gorgeous all night long!
Tip: Tame any flyways with a spritz of hairspray on a natural bristle toothbrush and brush over to smooth.
Girl Next Door Chic
- Spritz sea salt spray all over and blow-dry using finger tips.
- Smooth through with a round brush to eliminate frizz and create a loose centre parting.
- Create loose waves using a wand, working from the nape of the neck to the top of the head.
- Spray a medium hold hair spray to give hold to the waves.
- Rub a small amount of texturizing creme into palms and fingertips and run through hair to give a slightly grungy feel.
- Tie into a super loose ponytail with elastic, allowing the front sections of the hair to fall around the face.
- Finish the look with a spritz of HERRA PROTECT Hair Perfume (£24.95) to ensure your style lasts and keeps your hair smelling gorgeous all night long!
To book at an appointment with Matthew and his team at the Matthew Curtis salon in Stratford-upon-Avon contact them on 01789 266551 or visit www.matthewcurtis.biz