The Anna Sui A/W 2019 collection titled Poptimism took those who attended through early 60’s patterns, with an assortment of short jackets and skirt ensembles that were either quilted, flared, or made in a multitude of prints - from flowers and stripes to a touch of feathers.
Garren, Celebrity Hairstylist and R+Co Co-Founder, explained the inspiration behind the hair,
It’s called lady goes punk. The clothing was very lady-like, while we made the hair have this contradictory Motown feeling. We took the hair the complete opposite direction of the clothes by going punk and incorporating multiple coloured wigs in pink, lavender, blue, turquoise, green and purple.
Garren used R+Co products to style the hair look for the show.
Get the Look:
(Preparing the hair for the wig):
- Clean the hair using GEMSTONE Color Shampoo and Conditioner (£28.50/£29) to prep for the wig.
- Slick back the hair using CHIFFON Styling Mousse (£24) to keep it from getting puffy.
- Mist OUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray (£24) for extra hold.
- Put the wig on, pinning around the hairline and nape of the neck.
(Styling the wig):
- Begin to backcomb at the roots, starting at the crown and working backward. Then continue down the sides, still keeping the hair in a backward direction.
- Garren chose to use the new Magic Wand Brow Gel (launching April 2019) at the ends of the hair at the crown in upward strokes to separate strands, take down flyaways and create spikes.
- Roll the remaining hair at the nape of the neck up into a knot and pin.
- Comb out bangs to smooth + frame the face.
- Finish with OUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray (£24) to hold the look.
Photography: Chris Diaz