Coppers are popular every autumn as they reflect nature’s seasonal colours and add warm tones to every head of hair. Bright and vivid or slices of subtle sunset-inspired shades, coppers are a seasonal stalwart and can be as bright or as sophisticated as you want.
Matrix Artist Ambassador, Michelle Summers Davies says it’s the tone she turns to when clients say they want something different:
Copper hair can be fiery that boosts a sassy personality or subtle for some added warmth and has a spectrum that ranges from a peach copper to red-hot flames of orange. It’s the perfect tone to add super warmth and richness to all hair types. Copper hair is one of my favourite tones.
Depending on the shade depends on the best technique. For maximum impact with a bright vivid copper, I love a monochromatic application with a deep shadowed root. This looks and speaks louder than words and is a real statement piece. For something more subtle, a copper balayage using darker rich coppers with a mix of golden and rose gold tones is stunning. I feel anyone can pull off a copper, it’s the perfect colour for pale or warm skin tones.
Top tips for caring for coppers
- Always assess the hair by looking at the condition; does it need some TLC before applying any colour. Do we need to pre-fill? What tone will suit skin and eye colour? Is there a percentage of grey to cover? Do they have a lifestyle that gives them time to look after their hair?
- Professional homecare is essential for this colour. Using a sulphate-free shampoo and acidic conditioner such as Total Results Keep Me Vivid from Matrix will help to lock in those colour molecules for longer.
- Washing hair less often using only warm water and rinsing with cold water will shut down the cuticle helping to retain the vibrancy of the tone.
- Don’t wash hair for the first 48 hours or use hot water after colouring, which will help with vibrancy and long-lasting colour.
- Top up the colour in between salon visits with a colour conditioner, such as Biolage ColorBalms which have launched this month.