Acclaimed hair provocateur, Charlie Le Mindu headed up the hair for the Art School show at London Fashion Week Men, interpreting the ‘Fearless Love’ theme of the show through a diverse series of looks, personalised to each model.
The brand, directed by the creative partnership of Eden Loweth and Tom Barratt, is one of the most exciting new names in fashion and was nominated for the Emerging Talent category at the British Fashion Awards.
Their exciting, fearless, dynamic approach to design is a perfect partner for Charlie, whose innovative hair creations have been displayed in galleries and in his own catwalk presentations, as well as on celebrities including Lady Gaga and Lana Del Rey.
This season’s Art School show was a collaboration with British artist, Maggi Hambling and featured garments crafted from layers of fabric-like pale paint. The brand is proudly non-binary, and the stripped back, monochrome canvasses that formed this collection reflected this fluid approach to fashion.
Five key looks were created by Charlie and the hair team, with each tweaked to form a bespoke finish for the models:
- For models wearing bandanas, ANTI Finishing Cream was used to slick back the hair for a sleek finish, topped off with a bandana placed low on the forehead and tied at the nape. Some styles were finished in a strong, wing-shaped structure, while others with longer hair were wig-wrapped underneath.
- For models with a loose, natural finish, hair was styled in a middle parting and powdered clay was layered and set into the hair. ANTI Finishing Cream and Shine Spray were used on the lengths of the hair.
- ANTI Cream Paste was manipulated through the hair to create volume and texture. Talc powder was then applied to the hair, leaving a dusty trail in the air as models walked.
- For a wet-look finish, hair was slicked to the head and moulded onto the face, neck and shoulders using ANTI Finishing Cream on wet hair. This was left to air dry and set in place, before lubricant was poured on top just before the models walked, to give the appearance that they were emerging from the water.
- One of the most talked-about looks of the show was the chest hair, crafted into shape to spell out the name of the brand. To get the look, an ANTI gel formula – still in the making – was used with a pintail to comb the hair into shape across the torso, spelling out ‘ART SCHOOL’.
The wet looks and clay looks were cleansed after using ANTI Everything Shampoo, in order to allow the models to leave with fresh hair for their next show.
Show: Art School Autumn/Winter 2020
Hair: Charlie Le Mindu
Hair team: Ellie Bond, Nathan Glynn, Will Wheelwright, Alistair Jubbs, Katie Prescott, Mike Burrow, Katie Guise, Lee Patrick Devlin, Lois Negus, Stuart Kimber, Luke Hawkins and Victoria Main