With plans to completely pedestrianize London’s Oxford Street after it was found that it was the most polluted street in the world, it’s not surprising that we’re seeing a drastic sales increase in anti-pollution beauty, while online searches have gone up by 73% in the past year. We know pollution is harmful for skin, but how does it affect our hair health?
Pollution is a major cause of dull, lacklustre hair and greasy roots. Nitrogen dioxide gas from car exhausts and toxic oily molecules measure 2.5 micrometres, that’s one 400th of a millimetre, so 20 times smaller than the diameter of a human hair. So, it’s no wonder that they easily gain entry into the cuticles of your hair. The toxic chemicals in the air, including particle matter, ozone, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide, are produced by transport, agriculture, power generation, burning fuel for cooking, as well as other industrial sources. Don’t fret that your hair isn’t protected, ghd UK ambassador Zoe Irwin shares her top tips for a pollution solution to keep your locks from looking lacklustre!
How to protect your hair from pollution:
- Use the right shampoo and conditioner: Understand your hair type first and then choose the right hair care products accordingly. Do you have naturally oily or dry hair? Do you have normal-to-dry hair or normal- to-oily hair? The right shampoo and conditioner will keep your hair healthy and clean without stripping it of its natural nutrients that help protect your hair.
- Add extra protection: It’s important to make sure that your hair is well protected - both in terms of physical protection and nourishment before you step out of the house. The best-selling ghd heat protect spray (£12.99) provides an invisible barrier against everyday heat damage as well as environmental factors. Containing the unique ghd heat protection system and conditioning agents, this spray will protect your hair all day long.
- Increase your protein intake: The long-term solution to keeping your hair healthy is to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, ensuring you eat enough protein-rich foods. Hair strands are made up of protein fibres, and a protein-rich diet will strengthen your hair and encourage hair growth. Eggs, lentils, fish, leafy greens etc. are must-have hair foods if you want to flaunt healthy locks at all times.
- Keep a clean scalp: Oily and greasy hair will only attract more pollutants, dust particles and dirt to your hair. Make sure your hair isn’t oily and try to keep your scalp as clean as possible. However, shampooing your hair every day isn’t good for your scalp either – this is when dry shampoo can save you!
- Indulge in a treatment: Pollutants often suck the moisture out of your hair and scalp, leaving the hair dry, thin and prone to damage. Fortify split ends and protect future breakage by using ghd advanced split end therapy treatment (£19.95). Activated by heat, this wonder treatment works instantly to fortify ends, leaving hair feeling sleek, smooth and shiny for up to ten washes. Simply comb through shampooed hair, blow-dry and then pass your ghd platinum+ styler (£175) over hair to seal in the product using heat.
ghd products are available to buy from the finest salons, premium retailers and www.ghdhair.com