Is it your dream to have dewy skin that’s immune to the effects of Sahara–like heating, over-zealous air conditioning, penetrating sunlight and whipping wind?
As we age, our skin’s protective barrier diminishes, making it less able to repair itself and more vulnerable to irritation and sensitivity. Renowned US Spa Brand Naturopathica, that recently launched in the UK and founded by herbalist Barbara Close, provide their expert tips and hero products that combine herbs with actives to help prevent this vicious cycle and keep your skin soft and smooth all summer long.
Step 1: Cleanse and Exfoliate
- Apply a dime size amount of Chamomile Cleansing Milk (£34) to moist skin and rinse after you’ve massaged into your skin to gently remove impurities. The Chamomile helps to soothe skin, Moringa moisturises, Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant and Rose Flower Water acts as a gentle toner.
- If your skin looks flaky, it’s time to exfoliate, but avoid peels which can over-stimulate irritated skin. We recommend using the Facial Cleansing Brush (£30) which sweeps away impurities and stimulates lymphatic flow whilst exfoliating gently, leaving a smooth and radiant complexion.
- Apply a dime size amount of the 3-in-1 Oat Cleansing Facial Polish (£57) and gently massage skin. For extra hydration, leave on as a mask for 3–5 minutes to allow the soothing extracts of Oat Beta Glucan to plump collagen and deeply hydrate the skin and then rinse.
Step 2: Hydrate and Protect
- Follow with a cream instead of a lotion. Creams are richer and better at holding water in the skin. Layer on a pea size amount of Beech Tree & Ginseng Daily Moisturizer (£60), rich in antioxidants and humectants. The Beech Tree helps improve water retention, Ginseng helps support skin firmness and Goji Berry Extract conditions skin.
- For extra dry or sensitive skin, use Calendula Essential Hydrating Cream (£60), rich in emollients to hold in moisture. These creams insulate the skin, which is key when skin has been over-exposed to extreme temperatures or pollution. The Calendula is anti-inflammatory and soothing, Borage Seed Oil deeply moisturises, and Trehalose helps retain moisture all day long.